Wednesday, October 22, 2014

College Life


Over two months in "The Creek" and I feel as if I have spent my entire life here. The friends I have made are the kind I wish I had made a long time ago and I have found it surprisingly easy to enjoy myself without having to modify my convictions. Going to school on a dry campus definitely lessens the temptation to drink, but being around the right people who are like minded has helped me keep my head on straight in regards to studying and how I should be spending my free time.

Most people seem to assume that to enjoy college means to spend the majority of the time drunk, high, having sex, or any combination of the three. However, I contradict that. Simply sitting in a room with my friends, joking around or doing homework is one of the most satisfying feelings I have had. These people simply know how to turn a monotonous day-before-the-test cram-session into a mixture of productive study time and stress relieving time with friends. In my opinion, that's what makes college fun - being around people who know how to enjoy themselves regardless of what they are doing.

I have also found another outlet to work on my writing abilities. The student newspaper, The Campbell Times, has been my top priority since the first interest meeting. I dedicate a good chunk of my time to writing and investigating my story topics, and when I am not actively working on a story, I am definitely thinking about different ways to approach a story or who I could talk to for more information. Sometimes I find it difficult to focus on my classes over my journalistic endeavors, since my extracurricular efforts are actually how I plan to spend the rest of my life. Hopefully before the end of my first year here I will have my priorities lined up appropriately...and until then I hope that I am able to keep pulling off my assignments by the last minute!

Recently, one of my friends has strongly encouraged me to get back in to blogging, so maybe with that support I will start posting on a regular basis :)

Until next time, my friends!
xoxo