Sunday, January 11, 2015

11 November 2014

Generally there are a few stereotypes for the passion behind a single blog post. In some cases, a writer simply wishes to type out his or her thoughts and writes, not for the world, but for personal pleasure or even practice. Another common reason to write is to share an opinion a writer believes the world absolutely needs to be made aware of. Another possible muse could be one person, real or imaginary, that the writer has a message for.

So far I think I have covered at least three of these motivations, writing for practice or without desire for another to read what had been written, writing in hopes that the world may benefit from my point of view on a few subjects, and writing to both a stranger who sparked a thought within me and to a few people within my life who I did not have the inner strength to confront about an issue I was having.

During these early hours of the 11th day of January in the year 2015, I am writing a post for one person and one person only. Today marks two months in to my relationship with Eric Ortiz. Having met shortly after moving in to Campbell University this past fall and becoming fast friends back in October, I would not have believed a psychic if she told me that Eric and I would end up in a relationship.

So far, this relationship has seen probably as many arguments as all of my previous relationships combined and strangely, that makes me happy. Eric and I do have differences and we do disagree but the wonderful thing is that we both care enough about the other to want to work out the issues we have. Rather than both of us shutting down, we both (or sometimes one or the other, depending on the circumstance) strive to find a resolution to the conflict and work back to a happy feeling between the two of us. Neither of us is too proud to admit a fault or be the first to say “I’m sorry.”

Prior to now, I would not have quickly and unquestioningly stood up for something I thought or cared about for fear of "rocking the boat" and driving another away. Instead I would have kept most of my thoughts to myself and worked as hard as I possibly could to step around every persons toes. Eric has made me feel safe and secure in this relationship to a point where I do not fear sharing my thoughts and opinions with him. Yes, I still feel shy and unsure at times, but he has made sure to express to me just how much he cares about me in a way that makes me want to tell him how I feel (most of the time of course - old habits die hard, much to Eric's frustration I am sure).

My passion for writing is something Eric fully supports and there is not much more I could ask for than someone who not only accepts my dreams but encourages me to pursue them. It is wonderful to hear him reference a blog post or suggest I write a post about a subject we may be discussing.
Honestly I am just trying to say that Eric makes me feel special, as if I am someone worth being and my passions are ones worth chasing. Two months in and I am not sure what I would do without his steady and trustworthy presence. He is just the right amount of serious mixed with the right amount of goofy to keep me sane. I pray all the time that he knows how much he means to me. His support is one I could not do without and I am more than excited to see what lies in the future for us.

Eric, I love you.